Information on Moving Companies Making Local Moves in NYC New York
Posted on: 19 May 2017 by Albi Morkel
There are many moving and storage companies and in New York City there are hundreds.
Some are college kids just wanting to make fast money for spring break or money so they can spend the summer in Europe. This is not the type of moving company that you want to move all your possessions – not even locally.
New York City – local move
In a city like New York and its boroughs there are many companies that will look good but after they have your money you will find them gone with your possessions and your money or only your money with your possessions still setting in your old location. Talk to friends or family who has live in New York City for some time as the really good companies will have a good reputation by word of mouth.
Research is needed
There are many really good companies so you need to research before you do anything. Dumbo NYC movers is the proof that even with a local move, you can get professional services at an affordable price. For many people the price of the moving company is the only thing they are looking at and will determine their choice.
Quality not cost
Those people that care about their possessions are those people who really don’t care about the price but the quality of the company that will be moving them. And this matters to them even if it is a local move.
To find a good moving company you will need to check the background of any company that you think you might want to use. First you need to find a few moving companies to start a list. You can ask neighbors, family members or friends at work who they last used or for their recommendation.
Add to the stress
Doing background checks is not easy but it is worth the time you will spend. You need to do this several months before you will start planning your move. It is important to do this since it is so easy to become a victim of fake movers. Making a move of any kind is stressful but getting hooked by a fake mover will only add to the stress and problems.
How to start
So get your list and receive estimates from each company. How they work to get you a good estimate will give you some information what kind of company they are. The best companies will want to come and see your possessions and answer further information such as:
- How they will handle large items such as refrigerators or pianos;
- What they tell you about how they handle expensive possessions such as computer systems or paintings;
- Will they pack some items for you – such as kitchen items – dishes, glasses, pots and pans;
- Will they pack your library of books?
Often packing your library and kitchen items will make you overlook other things – so you need to wait for all your background searches to be finished before you make your final decision.
Dates for loading and unloading
The dates that you want for moving and your quote will go together – and even in a local move from one part of New York City to another, loading might be one date and unloading is another. Dates and price usually go together. If you’re looking for the good price, you will need to be very flexible with moving dates. If you’re looking for dates that aredefinite on a local move, be ready to pay a little more for turnaround that is quick.
If you are going to do your own packing, give them a list of the number of cartons you will need from those who are helping you with quotes or estimated. Also if you want your kitchen packed or a library of books, get estimates on how much packing will cost. It might be cheaper just to pack them yourselves.
Information on the internet
Some information you will be able to find on the internet, items such as:
- How long they have been in business (the longer the better);
- Their home office address (you can just drop by someday to check on office customer service);
- Search for any complaints (if they are a problem company you will be able to know after a search);
- Read any customer reviews on their website (you might call one or two, as there are a lot of fake reviews written by people hired to write);
- Check the Better Business Bureau as those that have complaints will usually file with the BBB;
- Do they have insurance and how much it will cost – yes, even with a local move.
You also need to get their DOT and MC license number – which is a good reason to stop by their office. It is time to make sure the company that you like the most has the license authority to do your move and if they have the insurance they need to be legal.
Making your decision
Before you make your decision make sure that you have all the following information on the company that you are probably going to be using (some have already been mentioned before):
- Company’s full name and any DBA or “doing business as”;
- Been in business for how long;
- Company address;
- Phone numbers (local and toll-free);
- MC and DOT license numbers;
- Web site address;
- Email addresses;
- Get references (and call them).
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on