Festive tipplesPosted on: 16 December 2011 by Gareth Hargreaves
Mulled wine, Egg Nog, Bloody Mary and other festive favourites. If you are planning a party or gathering for friends or family over Christmas, you can swot up on how to mix your drinks with this 50connect recipe guide.
Essential and extravagant Christmas tipples that will grace any party and delight your guests. Plus we have a few suggestions to combat that dry-mouthed queasy morning after!
4 fl oz of water
1 lemon sliced
1 stick cinnamon
1 tbsp cloves
3 oz sugar
1 bottle of red wine
16 fl oz pineapple juice
8 fl oz orange juice
- Boil the water with the lemon slices, cinnamon, cloves and sugar for fifteen minutes.
- Strain and mix wine and fruit juice. Before serving gently heat but do not boil.
Extravagant Egg Nog
Rich, delicious and potent. What else do you need on Christmas Day?
6 eggs separated
6 oz sugar
3/4 pint milk, chilled
1/2 pint cognac
4 fl oz rum
3/4 pint double cream
- Beat the eggs whites until they are at soft peak stage then gradually beat in the sugar, but keep the egg whites 'soft' rather than 'dry.'
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until they start to thicken and then stir in the milk, Cognac and rum.
- Beat the cream until stiff, then fold into the egg yolk mix.
- Finally fold in the stiffened egg whites. Pour in to elegant stemmed tall glasses and sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, depending on your preference.
and for the morning after...
1 measure Cognac
Dash malt vinegar
Yolk of an egg (unbroken)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 dashes of Tabasco
- Add the ingredients to a tumbler in the order stated above. Do not stir or shake. Simply drink down in one go with the head tilted back. The egg yolk is meant to break in the mouth, and be swallowed as soon as possible, like an oyster, as in the title of this cocktail.
1 measure bourbon
1/4 measure Pernod
White of half an egg
1/2 tsp caster sugar
Dash lemon juice
Soda water to top up
- Shake all the ingredients together except the soda, with ice. Strain into a tall glass and top with soda water.
2 measures vodka
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
4 dashes Tabasco
Pinch celery seeds
4 twists of black pepper
- Stir everything except the tomato juice in a tall glass half filled with ice.
- Top up with tomato juice and, if you want, add a slice of lemon and a stick of celery for full effect.
Need more inspiration?
Check out The Definitive Cocktail Book and get your party off to a festive swing! You can purchase it from Amazon
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
21 Oct 2016Foods That Will Keep Your Energy Leve...
20 Aug 2016Easiest ways to Chill White Wine
13 Jul 2016A Guide to Restaurant Menu Options