Homemade Preserves Make A ComebackPosted on: 20 January 2009 by Gareth Hargreaves
The economic downturn has brought about a revival in home jam and chutney making.
Jars of homemade jams and chutneys need not be just for home consumption but make thoughtful, economical and delicious gifts.
Here are two very low-cost and easy recipes that are sure to be appreciated.
- 6 oranges, grapefruits or lemons.
- 1 kg sugar.
1. Take the 6 citrus fruits and wash well, removing any blemishes.
2. Cut into quarters, and place in a food processor.
3. Chop until finely ground, skin and all.
4. For an optional extra add some crystallized ginger.
5. Boil with the 1kg of sugar, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, for 20 minutes. It splatters, so be careful.
6. Allow to cool and place in a jar with a tight fitting lid before refrigerating.
Makes: 1 Jar.
- 500g rhubarb.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped.
- 100ml cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped.
- 200g sugar.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
1. Trim and wash the rhubarb, then slice it, like celery, into fairly fine chunks.
2. Heat the onion, vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt in a wide-based non-aluminum pan.
3. Bring to a rolling boil for about 5 minutes, then add the rhubarb.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.
5. Put the chutney into a 500ml sterilised jar, still hot, at this point and allow to cool.
Finish your jars with a label you have made yourself or source beautifully designed labels from Countryside Direct where you will also find fantastic recipes for preserves.
Do you have any homemade recipes to share?
Let us know by leaving a comment in the box below or share your thoughts with other 50connect readers in the forums.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
22 May 2017French Food and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet
20 Aug 2016Easiest ways to Chill White Wine
13 Jul 2016A Guide to Restaurant Menu Options