Recipes: Celebrate National Sandwich WeekPosted on: 12 May 2010 by Mark O'haire
National Sandwich Week takes place from 16 May - 23 May this year and celebrates the nation’s favourite lunchtime snack, the sandwich.
Making your own sandwiches using canned food is much cheaper than buying lunch every day. You can make a range of easy, quick and nutritious sandwiches straight from the can. If you’re stretched for time, there are a wide range of ready-made canned sandwich fillers available, which suit all tastes and dietary needs.
To celebrate National Sandwich Week, try making something a bit different for your sandwiches that are still good for you, easy to prepare and so tasty that they’ll be eaten in a matter of minutes!
Spam spreaders & chilli bean burrito wrap
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tortilla wraps
- 1/2 x 420g can Mexican style chilli beans, drained
- 100g of 300g can spam chopped pork and ham
- 1 spring onion, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 25g cheese, grated
Spam spreaders and chilli bean burrito wrap:
- Thickly slice the spam and cut into rough chunks and place on tortilla wrap.
- Top generously with the Mexican style chilli beans, the vegetable matchsticks and the grated cheese.
- Roll up, cut in half and serve. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Tuna spread & vegetable mini pitta pockets
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 x (198g) can sweetcorn, drained
- 185g can tuna, drained
- 6 mini pitta bread
- 100g cream cheese
- 8-10 green grapes, cut in ¼’s
- 1 stick celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- Freshly ground back pepper
- In a large mixing bowl add the drained tuna and the cream cheese and mix well to make a creamy spread.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and season.
- Stuff each pitta bread pocket with a generous amount of the tuna filling and enjoy at home or on the move!
- 410g can red kidney beans
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped peeled plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp Tabasco
- Large bunch finely chopped coriander
- 190g can sweetcorn
- 150g low fat cream cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- Place the olive oil and the red onion in a warm pan and allow the onion to soften for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and red kidney beans and stir together. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sweetcorn and Tabasco and continue stirring. Allow to cook for a further 3 minutes. Finally, add the coriander and leave to cook for another minute.
- While the ingredients cook, take the tortillas and place them under a hot grill for 1 minute to warm. When ready, spread some cream cheese on each of the tortillas.
How to serve: Spoon the bean mixture into the middle of each tortilla and fold to eat.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
22 May 2017French Food and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet
20 Aug 2016Easiest ways to Chill White Wine
13 Jul 2016A Guide to Restaurant Menu Options