Recipes: Celebrate National Sandwich WeekPosted on: 12 May 2010 by Mark O'haire
National Sandwich Week takes place from 16 May - 23 May this year and celebrates the nation’s favourite lunchtime snack, the sandwich.
Making your own sandwiches using canned food is much cheaper than buying lunch every day. You can make a range of easy, quick and nutritious sandwiches straight from the can. If you’re stretched for time, there are a wide range of ready-made canned sandwich fillers available, which suit all tastes and dietary needs.
To celebrate National Sandwich Week, try making something a bit different for your sandwiches that are still good for you, easy to prepare and so tasty that they’ll be eaten in a matter of minutes!
Spam spreaders & chilli bean burrito wrap
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tortilla wraps
- 1/2 x 420g can Mexican style chilli beans, drained
- 100g of 300g can spam chopped pork and ham
- 1 spring onion, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 25g cheese, grated
Spam spreaders and chilli bean burrito wrap:
- Thickly slice the spam and cut into rough chunks and place on tortilla wrap.
- Top generously with the Mexican style chilli beans, the vegetable matchsticks and the grated cheese.
- Roll up, cut in half and serve. Refrigerate until ready to eat.
Tuna spread & vegetable mini pitta pockets
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 x (198g) can sweetcorn, drained
- 185g can tuna, drained
- 6 mini pitta bread
- 100g cream cheese
- 8-10 green grapes, cut in ¼’s
- 1 stick celery, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- Freshly ground back pepper
- In a large mixing bowl add the drained tuna and the cream cheese and mix well to make a creamy spread.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and season.
- Stuff each pitta bread pocket with a generous amount of the tuna filling and enjoy at home or on the move!
- 410g can red kidney beans
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g can chopped peeled plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 tbsp Tabasco
- Large bunch finely chopped coriander
- 190g can sweetcorn
- 150g low fat cream cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- Place the olive oil and the red onion in a warm pan and allow the onion to soften for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and red kidney beans and stir together. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, sweetcorn and Tabasco and continue stirring. Allow to cook for a further 3 minutes. Finally, add the coriander and leave to cook for another minute.
- While the ingredients cook, take the tortillas and place them under a hot grill for 1 minute to warm. When ready, spread some cream cheese on each of the tortillas.
How to serve: Spoon the bean mixture into the middle of each tortilla and fold to eat.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- Sport & Leisure
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
25 Apr 2016The Real Cost of a Pint of Milk
19 Apr 2016Ensure Your Restaurant Food Is Top-Qu...
24 Mar 2016Top Five Best-Selling Soft Drinks