Spinach, cheddar & tomato pancake lasagnePosted on: 01 February 2010 by Mark O'haire
This pancake stack is layered with tomato sauce for lasagne, sliced tomatoes, freshly cooked spinach and grated cheddar cheese.
It’s rather like a vegetarian lasagne - and it tastes fantastic. What’s more, the milk and cheese provide valuable calcium and protein, and you’ll get two portions of vegetables to go towards your 5-a-day!
Spinach, cheddar & tomato pancake lasagne
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutesIngredients:
- 175g plain flour
- 2 small eggs
- 450ml (3/4 pint) milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 350g fresh spinach
- 500g jar tomato sauce for lasagne
- 5 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 175g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / fan oven 160°C / Gas 4. Tip the flour into a large bowl, add the eggs and milk and beat together using a hand whisk to make a smooth batter. Allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Heat a heavy-based pancake pan, adding a few drops of vegetable oil. Pour in some batter, tilting the pan around to make a thin pancake. Cook over a medium heat, and when it has set on the surface, flip over to cook the other side. Cool on sheets of kitchen paper. Make 5 or 6 pancakes until all the batter is used up.
- Pack the spinach into a large saucepan and add a little water. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Drain well, squeezing out any surplus moisture.
- Stack the pancakes on a lightly greased baking sheet, spreading each layer with tomato sauce for lasagne, then topping with spinach, sliced tomatoes and cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for a few minutes, then slice into 4 wedges.
Leftover ideas and tips:
Use bought pancakes instead of home made ones for speed and convenience. If you like, make the pancake lasagne in a baking dish. Keep any leftovers covered and refrigerated, then re-heat in the microwave for about 1 minute on high until piping hot, or serve cold in a packed lunch.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
22 May 2017French Food and Wine Pairing Cheat Sheet
20 Aug 2016Easiest ways to Chill White Wine
13 Jul 2016A Guide to Restaurant Menu Options