Video: Sophie Mitchell Cooks Chicken Tikka MasalaPosted on: 01 July 2009 by Gareth Hargreaves
Leading celebrity chef Sophie Michell from Channel 4’s The Fit Farm and Cook Yourself Slim shows you how to cook chicken tikka masala with Tefal Actifry.
Classic Chicken Tikka Masala Made Healthy
Serves = 4
Total Cost = £7.86
Per Person = £1.96
Take Away Price Per Person: £7.95
ActiFry Calories (per portion):
- 253 kcal
- 7.5g fat (of which 1.5g saturated fat)
- 7.5g carbohydrate (of which 3g sugar)
- 1g fibre
- 1g salt
Takeaway Calories (with pilau rice): 860 kcal
Chicken Tikka Masala is an Anglo-Indian invention and is one of the U.K’s favourite dishes. We all know that ordering takeaway food can be very bad for your waistline and pocket, so with this recipe you can really have a authentic, quick version at home, with much less calories. If you are really short of time, buy a ready made Tikka spice mix and miss out the marinade time.
Serves = 4
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 3-4cm pieces.
- 2 tbsp tikka masala paste (see mix below)
- 2 tbsp live yoghurt
- 1 tbsp tikka masala paste (either make your own, see below, or use shop bought)
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 200ml stock
- 200ml tomato passata
- 3 tbsp of 2% fat Greek yoghurt
- Fresh chopped coriander
Tikka masala spice mix
- 2 tsp g. cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp g. cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp g coriander
- 1 tbsp water
- Firstly mix all the chicken pieces, yogurt and spices together and marinate for 1 hour.
- Peel and cut the onion in half, slice and add to the ActiFry. Finely chop the garlic and ginger and also add to the ActiFry along with the spice mix, cardomom pods and oil. Set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stir well with a spatula and then add the chicken pieces, stock, passata and seasoning. Stir again to evenly distribute and continue cooking.
- When the time is up, add the chopped coriander and the Greek yoghurt, stir well, check seasoning and serve. You can’t add the Greek yoghurt earlier, as it is low fat and will split if left on the heat too long. Serve with pilau rice and chutney.
*A quick tip for the rice is to cook it with a cinnamon stick and bay leaf, then add a pinch of Saffron towards the end, then stir well.
For more information on this recipe, please visit http://www.eathealthily.co.uk/.
Leading celebrity chef Sophie Michell from Channel 4’s The Fit Farm and Cook Yourself Slim, started her professional career at 14.
Since then, she has cooked for Claudia Schiffer, Gordon Brown and David Cameron.
Now Sophie has teamed up with Tefal’s Nutritious and Delicious campaign to come up with healthy yet recession proof recipes. Sophie’s recipes are quick and easy to cook with very little washing up too!
Using the ActiFry, her chicken tikka massala costs the same for 4 people as a single takeaway version would and has over 300 calories less.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- Sport & Leisure
- What's on
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
25 Apr 2016The Real Cost of a Pint of Milk
19 Apr 2016Ensure Your Restaurant Food Is Top-Qu...
24 Mar 2016Top Five Best-Selling Soft Drinks