A Shining Example of Being Solar SavvyPosted on: 30 April 2010 by Mark O'haire
Be in with a chance of winning a pack of eight solar garden lights plus a string of 50 solar powered, star-shaped tree lights, worth £70.
With energy bills climbing four times faster in the UK than in the rest of Europe, it’s no surprise that many of us are turning to the power of the sun to help us save money – and the planet.
There has been a whopping 114% increase in fuel bills in the past five years. However, according to Reflect Energy, the solar panel and energy specialists, being solar savvy can reduce your fuel bill by up to £400 a year. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t have to be sunny for you to enjoy the benefits. Advanced technology means that you can enjoy the advantages of solar hot water panels even on the dullest of days – perfect for our British climate.
Energy used in homes is responsible for over a quarter of all UK emissions of carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas causing climate change. So here are some bright ideas for making your home as energy efficient as possible:
- Insulate your home. Nearly half the heat in a typical home is lost through the walls and roof.
- Shut the fridge door. For every minute a fridge door is open it takes 3 minutes of electricity use for the fridge to cool back down to its set temperature. UK households use £1.2 billion worth of electricity every year just on cooling and freezing food.
- Say goodnight to unnecessary lights. Switching off an unnecessary light for just one night saves enough energy to run a stereo for 24 hours.
- Install hot water solar panels. They can add nearly 9% to a property’s value, provide hot water all year round and will cut 20% off your energy bills for life. Weatherproof, lightweight and elegant, Reflect Energy’s solar panels will work with any type of boiler.
- Shut it! A window left open overnight in winter wastes enough energy to produce 130 wine bottles.
- Energy saving light bulbs use a quarter of the electricity of an ordinary light bulb and last eight times as long. Just three installed in every home in the UK would save enough electricity to power all the country’s street lights.
- Turn appliances off standby by switching them off at the wall.
And you can enjoy the power of the sun with these dazzlingly chic solar powered garden lights, which will make any garden sparkle. One lucky winner will receive a pack of 8 solar garden lights plus a string of 50 solar powered, star shaped tree lights, worth £70. They’re the perfect accessories for turning your garden into a shining example of eco-friendliness. To be in with a chance of winning just answer the question below.
This competition has now closed.
For more information on Reflect Energy’s solar panels call 0330 555 5000, or visit the website at www.reflectenergy.co.uk.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Battersea Dogs & Cats home
Carve a Halloween pumpkin competition
We love our pets
Related Blog Posts
25 May 2017Considerations for decorating a guest...
24 Nov 20167 Ways to select the best home care
2 Nov 2016You Are Never Too Old to Go Camping -...