Gas safety tips in your homePosted on: 30 September 2013 by Gareth Hargreaves
35million at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning according to new report.
A report by campaign group Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! claims up to 35million people are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning this winter through faulty appliances and inadequate ventilation.
Carbon monoxide has no smell and has no taste, if you have a gas boiler in your home now is the time to get it checked by a registered engineer.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent killer, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) figures estimate 20 people die each year as a result of CO poisoning from faulty gas appliances. Those who are affected will experience flu-like symptoms, nausea and vomiting.
The arrival of the winter months prompts a surge in our use of central heating systems and boilers. Yet as we batten down the hatches to keep out the cold – so too we run the risk of trapping potentially lethal toxic gasses in our homes.
If you suspect that one of your appliances is leaking carbon monoxide, open your windows allowing thorough ventilation and call a registered engineer.
Stay safe your home with these top tips:
Get ALL your gas appliances checked annually- boilers, gas cookers and gas fires... everything!
- Don’t use anyone other than a CORGI or GasSafe registered engineer to fit, fix and check gas appliances in your home.
- Never allow anyone into your home who cannot produce a GasSafe or CORGI ID card and check the back of the card to ensure they are qualified to carry out the specific type of gas work you need.
- Recognise the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly, eg lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm for your home and make sure it is located near to your gas appliances in accordance with the manufacturer’s guidance. Carbon monoxide can leak from appliances and kill.
- Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose e.g. don’t use a gas oven to heat a room or use a gas barbeque inside the house.
- Always ensure there is enough ventilation for your gas appliances to allow them to burn correctly and make sure you are not blocking any air vents that provide an air supply to the gas appliance.
- Anybody working with gas has to be Gas Safe registered by law. Report someone working without registration or call Gas Safe Register on the free phone number 0800 408 5500.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Battersea Dogs & Cats home
Carve a Halloween pumpkin competition
We love our pets
Related Blog Posts
7 Jan 2017What to Consider When Choosing Cleani...
26 Dec 2016Spring Cleaning Using Minimal Amount ...
24 Nov 2016How to Take Care Our Elders: 7 Ways t...