Mosley Urged To Quit

Posted on: 05 June 2008 by Gareth Hargreaves

Pressure is mounting on FIA president Max Mosley but should he resign?

The president of the Federation Internationale de l’Automobile, Max Mosley has retained his position after a ballot from FIA members.

The 68-year-old won a vote of confidence to keep his position despite the motorsport head being allegedly involved in a Nazi-style sex scandal.

But pressure is again mounting for Mosley to resign and avoid risking damaging Formula 1 and the FIA further.

Several major motoring organisations have either threatened to withdraw from the FIA or have already suspended relations.

On Tuesday, Mosley won 103 of 169 votes in a process he called after the News of the World reported that he had taken part in a “Nazi-style orgy” with prostitutes.

Mosley, the son of former British fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosley, accepts he visited the prostitutes but denies there were Nazi overtones.

He has already launched legal proceedings against the newspaper alleging defamation and invasion of his privacy.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has added his weight to the scandal by claiming Mosley should resign from his position immediately.

Di Montezemolo’s comments carry extra weight because Ferrari are powerful within F1 and have traditionally had a close relationship with the FIA in general and Mosley in particular.

He is also the first F1 team figure to urge Mosley to quit since this week’s vote.

“He should realise that sometimes it is necessary to say to yourself I have to leave for reasons of credibility,” says di Montezemolo.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has already expressed his fears that Mosley may no longer be able to function in his role.

“I hope that it will not destabilise sponsors and the constructors,” says Ecclestone, a close associate to Mosley for over 40 years.

“I knew he would win the vote but I still don’t think it’s good for him or the FIA.

“He said he wanted to finish at the end of 2007, and then the end of this year, before all this happened.

“Max should stand down in November. For me, it’s a difficult situation because I run the Formula One group of companies and the teams – the manufactures – are violently opposed to him."

Before this week’s vote, Mosley had been shunned by the Monaco royal family at the Principality’s race last month and the rulers of Bahrain had asked for him not to attend their Grand Prix at the start of April.

Mosley has apologised for any embarrassment caused by his behaviour and has refused to speak to any media until his case has been heard and a verdict delivered in court.

Should Max Mosley resign from his position as FIA president immediately despite receiving a vote of confidence?  Leave your comments below or discuss with others in the 50connect forums.


Share with friends



Rating:

You need to be signed in to rate.