1. Introduction and General Terms
50connect.co.uk is part of the Olderiswiser Media Limited business assets.
In order to provide you with the full range of Olderiswiser Media Limited services, we are sometimes required to collect information about you.
- What information Olderiswiser Media Limited may collect about you;
- How Olderiswiser Media Limited will use information we collect about you;
- When Olderiswiser Media Limited may use your details to contact you;
- Whether Olderiswiser Media Limited will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
The websites contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own privacy policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit or are collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. What information will Olderiswiser Media Limited collect about me?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from any 50connect.co.uk website, such as newsletters, competitions, live chats, message boards or register with the single universal online registration system used across different parts of 50connect.co.uk, we may ask for personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, e mail address, postal address, telephone or mobile number or date of birth. Different web pages may ask for different personal information.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable and its service providers to provide you with the services you select.
Please note that sometimes on particular web pages we will require you to provide additional personal information, and sometimes sensitive personal information (e.g. if you're sending in an application to be a contributor on a political party we may need to know your political leanings). When we do this we will specify further on these web pages why we are collecting your information and how we will use it.
We also use your IP address to determine whether you are accessing the services from the UK or not. If not, you will be re-directed to the international version of 50connect.co.uk site
3. How will Olderiswiser Media Limited use the information they collect about me?
Olderiswiser Media Limited will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- For "service administration purposes", which means that Olderiswiser Media Limited may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in paragraph 4 below (e.g. to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the websites, including any content you provide.
- to personalise the way 50connect.co.uk content is presented to you (e.g. if we notice that the first thing you look at when you visit the website is 'Entertainment', then we may present this information or a link to it on your homepage);
- IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered on 50connect.co.uk. e.g. to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
Where Olderiswiser Media Limited needs to use your personal information we will obtain your consent first. Otherwise, by providing us with the information either verbally, written or using our website, you consent to the collection, use and processing of this information by Olderiswiser Media Limited. We will use every reasonable effort to safeguard your personal information. You also have the option to withhold your information by written notification to us.
4. When will Olderiswiser Media Limited contact me?
Olderiswiser Media Limited may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that Olderisiwser Limited can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made to 50connect.co.uk, e.g. in the site’s forum;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about Olderiswiser Media Limited services (participation is always voluntary); and
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see paragraph 5 below)
Local pages will give you detailed information about how Olderiswiser Media Limited will contact you in relation to specific services.
5. Will I be contacted for marketing information?
You have the option to decline to receive marketing information from us by “opting out” with written notification to us.
6. Will Olderiswiser Media Limited share my personal information with third parties?
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described in paragraph 7 below. Generally, we will only use your information within Olderiswiser Media Limited. However, sometimes Olderiswiser Media Limited uses third parties to process your information. Olderiswiser Media Limited will require these third parties to comply strictly with its instructions.
7. Offensive or inappropriate content on the websites of Olderiswiser Media Limited
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content anywhere on or to 50connect.co.uk, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on 50connect.co.uk, Olderiswiser Media Limited may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where Olderiswiser Media Limited reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England or Wales (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), Olderiswiser Media Limited may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, school e-mail/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. What if I am a user aged 16 or under?
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to Olderiswiser Media Limited's website. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
9. How long will Olderiswiser Media Limited keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant service, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with Olderiswiser Media Limited. In the case that you wish to cancel your registration as a 50connect.co.uk member, once an account is deleted a red flag goes on the database and, while people cannot use the personal information, it stays on the system for a period of one year for administration purposes before being deleted automatically.
Where you contribute to 50connect.co.uk, Olderiswiser Media Limited will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted. For example, Olderiswiser Media Limited will only keep copies of entries to a photographic competition for the duration of the competition. However other areas (e.g. the Forum) are likely to have a longer, or even permanent, duration.
10. Can I find out what personal information Olderiswiser Media Limited holds about me?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information Olderiswiser Media Limited holds about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files. You are required to provide 2 pieces of photographic identification and an administration charge may be incurred for the process.
Please address requests to the Data Protection Officer, 50connect.co.uk, Olderiswiser Media Limited, 16 Leigham Court Road, Streatham, London, SW16 2PJ
12. Cookies Policy - Information Olderiswiser Media Limited collects from you
a. What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes a unique identifier that is sent to your computer or mobile phone (referred to here as a "device") browser from a website's computer and is stored on your device's hard drive. Each website can send its own cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it, but (to protect your privacy) your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. Many sites do this whenever a user visits their website in order to track online traffic flows.
Cookies record information about your online preferences and allow us to tailor the websites to your interests. Users have the opportunity to set their devices to accept all cookies, to notify them when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. The last of these means that certain personalised services cannot then be provided to that user and accordingly you may not be able to take full advantage of all of 50connect.co.uk features. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
Information supplied by cookies can help us to analyse the profile of our visitors and help us to provide you with a better user experience. For example: if on a previous visit you went to our education pages, we might find this out from your cookie and highlight educational information on your second and subsequent visits.
This page was last amended 3 August 2017