Hazelnut and berry meringue cakePosted on: 01 September 2017 by Eloise Craven-Todd
Has the Great British Bake Off inspired you to get in the kitchen? This berry layer cake is certainly a show-stopping crowd pleaser.
This is a celebration cake any special occasion. The layers of meringue with the fruit in between look very pretty and it's super easy to make ahead and assemble last minute.
Serves: 12 – 14
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 250g whole hazelnuts
- 8 egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- 200ml double cream
- 200g strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- 100g raspberries
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Blitz the hazelnuts in a blender until very fine.
- Take a clean, grease-free bowl and add the egg whites. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gradually add the caster sugar a dessert spoon at a time, whisking well in between. Continue until all the sugar has been added and the mixture is thick and glossy, then fold in the hazelnuts.
- Divide the mix between three greased and lined Victoria sandwich tins and then bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, until golden.
- When done, take out of the oven, cool in the tins and then carefully remove.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread a third of the cream onto one of the meringues and add a thin layer of strawberries and raspberries. Top with the second meringue and repeat the process. Place the final meringue on and top with the remaining cream and berries.
- To finish, sprinkle with icing sugar.
Cook’s tip: Run a knife around the outside of the cake tins to release the meringues and upturn them to get them out of the tin. Carefully peel off the lining paper.
Recipe provided my Berry World
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Related Blog Posts
4 Apr 2017How to Smoke Pork Ribs
7 Aug 2016Campfire Recipes: Simple and easy rec...
2 Feb 2016Some Cool Stuffs to Drink this Summer