Raw vegetable salad with garlic dressingPosted on: 15 August 2016 by Rob Hobson
Rob Hobson, author of The Detox Kitchen Bible, shares his recipe for a deliciously healthy garlic summer salad
Black garlic has twice the amount of antioxidents of fresh garlic, has a sweet balsamic taste and a liqourice-like texture, which is a result of the fermentation process used to create it. This type of garlic works really well in salad dressings and is tasty eaten raw as it has been used in this salad.
Although low in calories, this salad is still high in nutrients and contains a rich source of potassium, magnesium, iron, B6, folate and vitamin C.
210 calories, 12.7g fat, 2.3g sat fat, 112.4g carbohydrates, 8g sugar, 8.5g protein, 1.5g salt, 5.5g fibre
- 4 black garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 handful of radish
- 1 green courgette
- 1 yellow courgette
- Half a red onion
- Half a green pepper, finely diced
- 1 handful of cashew nuts, roasted and chopped
- 1 small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- Place the black garlic in a pestle and mortar with the lemon juice, oil and salt and gently bash the cloves until the liquid has turned a dark brown colour. The tough texture of the black garlic does not lend itself well to being broken down so the pieces will remain intact. This is fine as the flavour will still infuse with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Finely slice the radishes and using a peeler, create long thin strips of courgette. Place them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well
- Serve the salad in large bowls and dot the pieces of black garlic, from the dressing, around the vegetables. Sprinkle with the cashew nuts and lemon zest and garnish with the coriander.
Rob Hobson is a Registered Nutritionist and Healthspan Head of Nutrition. His new book ‘The Detox Kitchen Bible’ is available on Amazon or find out more at http://nutritionexpert.healthspan.co.uk/heart-health-recipes
For more information
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Related Blog Posts
7 Aug 2016Campfire Recipes: Simple and easy rec...
2 Feb 2016Some Cool Stuffs to Drink this Summer
19 Aug 2015Chickpea Curry - High Quality Protein...