50 Connect | Shepherd’s pie topped with watercress and cheddar mash
Shepherd’s pie topped with watercress and cheddar mashPosted on: 24 September 2015 by 50connect editorial
Shepherd's pie has to be in the Top 5 fool proof comfort foods. It's super scrummy and so simple even a man could make it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
For the pie:
- 40g of watercress, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 25g butter
- 500g minced lamb
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
For the mash:
- Half x 85g bag watercress, chopped
- 1kg Desirée potatoes, peeled
- 25g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g Cheddar, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6. For the pie, finely chop the onion, celery and carrot. Melt butter in a frying pan and gently fry the vegetable mixture for 8-10 minutes until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the lamb to the pan, turn up the heat and brown for about 8-10 minutes. Drain off any excess fat, then add the vegetable mixture, the Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, ketchup and thyme. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes until reduced then stir in half the watercress.
- Meanwhile, for the mash, cut the potatoes into even-sized chunks and cook in boiling, salted water for 20 minutes. Drain and mash with butter and seasoning. Stir in half the Cheddar and the remaining watercress.
- Season the meat mixture and spoon into a shallow ovenproof dish. Top with the Cheddar mash. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and cook for 30 minutes until golden brown and hot.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Related Blog Posts
7 Aug 2016Campfire Recipes: Simple and easy rec...
2 Feb 2016Some Cool Stuffs to Drink this Summer
19 Aug 2015Chickpea Curry - High Quality Protein...