Valentine Warner’s Mackerel TatakiPosted on: 05 September 2016 by 50connect editorial
Mix up the weekly meals this season with Valentine Warner's easy to follow japanese inspired menu.
Chef Valentine Warner, renowned for his love of Japanese cuisine, has created a menu inspired by the art of Japanese Washoku cooking. His dishes have been specially designed to make sure that they provide a convenient and accessible way for people to experience fresh, uncomplicated Japanese cooking.
- 2 tsp black/regular sesame seeds
- 4 Fresh mackerel fillets, pin boned & skinned – alternatively, 100g fresh tuna or salmon
- 1 thumb fresh root ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
- 3 tsp Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Two-thirds sheet toasted Nori seaweed, cut in 4 strips and stack then snip into thin ribbons – prepare last minute to avoid dampness
- 1 Large spring onion, trimmed and very finely diced
- Optional - 2 small tsp fresh Dijon mustard
- Remove all the peel and pith from the lemon and juice it.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a small frying pan until light golden brown and then set aside to cool.
- Using a very sharp knife, finely chop your fish into small cubes and place in a small mixing bowl.
- Gently stir through the sesame seeds, ginger, Dijon mustard and lemon juice soya sauce.
- Divide between four small plates.
- Place a small pile of chopped spring onions on each plate.
- Scatter over a small handful of Nori seaweed.
- Serve immediately.
“It is very important that the fish for this dish is very fresh" explains Valentine. "The mackerel should be stiff and their backs dark green with an iridescent shine. If possible, source from a trusted specialist fishmonger.”
Please note: Sesame oil, once opened, has a short shelf life so make sure it is fresh.
Recipe provided by Valentine Warner, search his website for more Japanese style inspiration.
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
Related Blog Posts
7 Aug 2016Campfire Recipes: Simple and easy rec...
2 Feb 2016Some Cool Stuffs to Drink this Summer
19 Aug 2015Chickpea Curry - High Quality Protein...