A summer holiday in numbers...Posted on: 01 August 2011 by Rhian Mainwaring
What are the great British public doing abroad?
It's something we look forward to all year, but how are we feeling and what are we doing when we get there? We take a look at the national statistics surrounding holidaymakers. Who's having more sex? Are we feeling guilty about splurging on a holiday? And who's coming back more stressed that when they left?
According to BAA this Sunday (31st July) will be the busiest day to travel, with airports full of excited/stressed holidaymakers - so Bupa commissioned a YouGov survey to see what the nation felt about their yearly holiday. Where do you fit in?
- 42% aren’t taking a holiday of a week or more this year
- Almost 1 in 5 Brits feel guilty about spending money on a holiday this year
- More than half of Brits are more stressed out now than a year ago
- 22% of people feel more motivated to exercise after their holiday
- 25% of people feel motivated to eat more healthily.
- 32% stay connected by checking their personal emails and social networks while on holiday
- 16% of men and 11% of women think they won’t be able to switch off if they go on holiday
- 15% of men and 6% of women pack condoms
- 15% of men and 20% of women feel guilty about spending money on holidays
- 50% of men and 61% of women who won’t go away this year state the main reason as being worried about money
- 17% of men and 11% of women return from holiday with a higher sex drive!
And from the holiday specialist Kuoni, a lowdown on what we're getting up to on holiday.
- 95% of Brits are having sex on holiday … phew!
- 12% of Brits are hoping for a new holiday romance; rising to 19% for those singletons without kids
- 32% of Brits are having more sex on their holidays than they enjoy back home; rising to 40% for couple with kids. (Guess there is more time for intimacy on a holiday!)
- 66% of men are demanding sex in unusual places compared to 58% of women
- 17% are having sex on the beach and 12% in the sea; while 3% are trying to join the mile high club!
- 62% of women are buying new clothes for, or wearing them on their holiday
- 36% of women are dieting for their holiday
- 35% of men are ‘working out’ to keep the body beautiful on holiday
- 17% of women are wearing more revealing clothing
- 25% of women are indulging in health and beauty treatments
- 17% of men are trying out extreme sports
- 33% of Brits are reflecting on their lives
- 31% are planning to expand their horizons when they get home
- 65% of those aged 55+ are mugging up on their holiday destination
- 75% of women are demanding peace and quiet and R&R!
- 79% of women and 42% of younger people (25-34 year olds) are doing things out of character because they feel liberated on a holiday (and one in 20 people say they like to become “someone different” by adopting a new persona while holidaying)
- 19% of Brits are making lots of new friends and 60% will keep up with them once home they return home
- 37% of men and women are spending more money than they do at home
- 43% are drinking more alcohol than they do at home
- 54% are eating at different holiday restaurants on most days
- 42% of women and 37% of men are indulging in different and exotic foods
So where do you fit into these? Has your getaway caused you more stress than peace? Do you come back from your holiday refreshed and ready to take on the world, or are you planning your next trip the second you're in baggage reclaim? Let us know your thoughts below...
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- Sport & Leisure
- What's on
Related GroupsSee All
Related Blog Posts
2 May 2016Top Travel Tips from Business Travele...
23 Apr 2016Stay Safety When Using Taxis
18 Apr 2016Fun in Fuerteventura