70 years of SPAMPosted on: 11 March 2011 by Rhian Mainwaring
No we’re not talking about junk mail. We've found some super SPAM recipes to celebrate one of our favourite guilty pleasures...
SPAM is one of those ingredients that, depending on when you were born, you’ll either love or hate. So if you’re a lover then you’ll probably have your own favourite ways of enjoying SPAM (tell us what they are on our forum) and if you’re a hater, then give these a go – they might just change your mind!
We headed to the official SPAM website where they hold an annual chef competition for the best SPAM recipe and there are some corkers….
Potato and SPAM cakes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g grated cheese
- 4 slices of spam
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- A courgette, diced
- Bake and mash the potatoes.
- Shallow fry the courgettes and spam
- Add the egg yolk, mustard, grated cheese, courgettes and spam to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Separate and roll the mixture into balls, then flatten. This recipe should make four or five medium sized cakes.
- Cover in breadcrumbs if needed.
- Fry each cake for approximately three to four minutes on a low heat.
Hawaiian SPAM kebabs
- 340g can spam Chopped Pork and Ham
- 1 can pineapple chunks
- Squeezable Honey (alternatively maple syrup)
- 6 skewers
- Hawaiian spam kebabs
- Cut spam into cubes (approx. 2cm)
- Open and drain can of pineapple
- Thread spam and pineapple on to skewer alternating, makes about 6
- Drizzle honey over kebabs
- Grill or Bar-B-Q until cooked
- Drizzle more honey over as you turn the kebabs
- Serve with salad
SPAM pie (top marks on presentation)
- Asparagus, Shallot, Leek, Shallot, Potato
- Plain flour
- Bay leaf
- Whole grain mustard
- Sweat down the shallots and leeks until soft
- Banch the asparagus
- Cut spam in to 1cm cubes
- Make Bechamel sauce
- Bind the filling with the bechamel and simmer for 5 minutes
- Boil the potatoes and strain, then mash
- Add butter,salt,pepper and whole grain mustard to mash and mix
- Spoon filling back into spam tin
- Pipe mash onto top of filling, brush with egg wash and glaze with blow torch
Think you could do better? Head over to SPAM and add your entries…
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
The Quays first creative media commission celebrates the area’s unsung heroes
Beat Bank Holiday Boredom at IWM North
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian
Related Blog Posts
18 Jul 2016Online Help for Nursing Assignment in...
27 Apr 2015How to get Glossy Hair for Game Night...
13 Feb 201510 Ways to Celebrate your First Mothe...