Happy St David’s Day!Posted on: 01 March 2011 by Rhian Mainwaring
Or Dydd gwyl dewi sant hapus....
St David’s Day is celebrated on the first day of March every year in honour of Dewi Sant (St David) the patron saint of Wales, who is believed to have died on this day in 589. St David founded religious centres such as Glastonbury and Croyland, and undertook a pilgrimage to Jerusalem where he was made archbishop, before eventually settling in Glyn Rhosyn in south west Wales where he established a strict ascetic religious community.
So to celebrate St David’s Day we thought we’d cook up some Welsh cakes, buy ourselves a bunch of daffodils and proudly wear a leek…
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour, sieved
- 110g/4oz (preferably Welsh) salted butter
- 1 egg
- A handful of sultanas
- milk (if needed)
- 85g/3oz caster sugar
- extra butter
- Sieve the flower into a bowl and rub in the butter to create bread crumbs. Then add the sugar, dried fruit and the whole egg. Mix the ingredients together to form a ball of dough adding milk should the consistency be too dry.
- Roll out the pastry to a quarter of an inch and cut into rounds.
- Heat a heavy iron griddle and rub with butter, wiping away the excess.
- When the griddle is very hot cook the welsh cakes for about 2-3 minutes on each side until brown.
- Remove from the pan and dust with caster sugar while still warm.
- Sit back with a cup of tea and listen to a Welsh classic, Tom Jones, Katherine Jenkins, Shirley Bassey, Duffy or Max Boyce - take your pick!
There’ll be celebrations across Wales today, which will include the wearing of traditional emblems and national dress. If you’re in Wales, have a pint of Brains for us and click the link to find celebrations in your area!
Share with friends
- Food & Drink
- Home & Lifestyle
- What's on
The Quays first creative media commission celebrates the area’s unsung heroes
Beat Bank Holiday Boredom at IWM North
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian
Related Blog Posts
18 Jul 2016Online Help for Nursing Assignment in...
27 Apr 2015How to get Glossy Hair for Game Night...
13 Feb 201510 Ways to Celebrate your First Mothe...