First-rate fish chowderPosted on: 31 January 2020 by Rob Hobson
Fish is rich in Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin) and this delicious chowder cooked up by nutritionist Rob Hobson,packs in pollock, hake and salmon, as well mussels and kale to give you a welcome boost during the sunless winter months.
Try this fish chowder dish to help boost your intake of vitamin D. This dish provides 30% of your recommended intake of vitamin D which is notoriously difficult to obtain from diet alone. There is also a good source of calcium in this dish as the dairy ingredients and kale contribute to 30% of your daily recommended intake of calcium.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 500ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- 250ml skimmed milk
- 200g potatoes, chopped into rough 1 centimetre dice
- 100g skinless smoked white fish eg haddock, diced
- 100g skinless white fish, eg hake or pollock, diced
- 100g kale, tough stalks removed and ripped into bite-size pieces
- 1 x 198 g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 2 tbsp light creme fraiche
- 75g smoked salmon offcuts
- 100g clams or mussels, optional
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped dill, chopped
Serve with brown soda bread
Heat the oil and butter in a large, lidded, pan set over a medium heat, add the chopped leek and bay leaf and slowly fry until soft and translucent - about 10min. Add the garlic clove and fry for a further 3 minutes until fragrant.
Add the stock and milk, then bring to the boil. Add the chopped potatoes, then simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Stir in the smoked fish, white fish, kale and sweetcorn and simmer for 3 minutes, add the creme fraiche, smoked salmon offcuts and clams/mussels (if using).
Place a lid on the pan and cook for a further 3 minutes, until the mussels/clams have opened. Carefully stir through half of the herbs and season with a little salt and a good amount of black pepper.
Serve in bowls garnished with the remaining herbs and with the brown bread on the side.
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)