Prawn and kale paellaPosted on: 13 April 2018 by 50connect editorial
Get set for the warmer weather with this delicious and healthy prawn and kale paella
As the weather gets warmer, our thoughts start to turn to creating flavourful, colourful and healthy meals, which can be enjoyed al fresco with friends and family. Hailing from Italy, but now grown in the UK, kale’s cousin cavolo nero is the perfect ingredient for spring and summer eating.
With an intense and slightly sweet flavour, the veg is a source of vitamins C, A and K, contains manganese, copper, fibre, calcium and iron and rich in lutein. It’s also versatile enough to be used in an array of summer dishes; from salads and stir frys, to paella and pulled pork!
To get set for the warmer weather, why not give this Prawn and Kale Paella a try.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Leek, chopped (250g)
- 1 red pepper, diced (190g)
- 300g paella rice
- 100ml white wine
- 700ml hot fish stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (25g)
- Large pinch saffron
- 250g bag Kale
- 300g cooked king prawns
- 25g pack parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan and fry the leek and pepper for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds before adding the wine. Cook until it has been absorbed.
- Mix the stock with the tomato puree.
- Add the saffron and a little of the stock, cover with a lid and cook gently till nearly all absorbed. Gradually add the stock a little at a time and cook gently, stirring occasionally until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the kale in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes and drain well. Mix into the paella with the prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Season to taste and stir in the parsley.
Substitute the prawns
Try replacing the prawns for chicken, just thinly slice chicken breasts and fry with the leek and pepper for 4-5 minutes.
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)
4 Apr 2017How to Smoke Pork Ribs
7 Aug 2016Campfire Recipes: Simple and easy rec...