Maintaining Your Barrie Windows and Doors
Posted on: 20 February 2019 by Tom Clark
Here are the things you should do to maintain your Barrie windows and doors. Take a look.
Vinyl Barrie windows and doors are significant additions to your home, especially because they are hassle-free maintenance and easy to clean. However, if this is not done and is neglected, continued use and exposure to severe climatic conditions make them lose their appeal and proper functioning. It is not only doors and windows that are affected. Other elements such as handles, locks, and hinges are affected too.
Replacing or repairing windows and doors can be costly. Therefore, that is why we recommend that homeowners take good care for these essential home components. But how should homeowners maintain these elements? Click here to learn more about how to clean and maintain different window materials. But before that, let’s take a look at this.
- Yearly Maintenance for Windows and Doors.
Perfect and timely maintenance of your Barrie windows and doors will not only boost their functioning but also maintain them effective in containing severe weather. Here are some things you should carry out at least annually:
- Inspect the weather-stripping between the frame and the sash to make sure it is sealing the water and air well.
- Remove the debris and dirt from the track and sill areas before washing.
- Keep the trucks, the rollers and any other moving part well lubricated. Note that if you reside in a coastal region, you may need to do this every month.
- Inspect the exterior and interior finish of your windows to know whether repair is necessary.
- Maintaining Vinyl Window Frames.
Undoubtedly, most of the dirt that settles on vinyl frames is washed away by rainfall. However, you will need to do the following occasionally:
- Wash the frame using a mixture of water and dish soap.
- Thoroughly rinse the area using clean water and dry it using a soft cloth.
- Clean all the wash tacks and holes to boost their performance.
- Inspect the weather-stripping and hardware every three to seven months.
Note: don’t use abrasive or petroleum-based cleaners. The solvents can damage the frame permanently.
- Cleaning Glass.
Remember that you shouldn't wash the glass in direct sunlight. So, when there are clouds:
- Make a mixture of mild dish soap and water.
- Rinse the Barrie windows and doors glass thoroughly with clean water and dry the water with a soft cloth.
- Caring For Timber Doors and Windows Barrie.
Wooden Barrie windows and doors can instantly enhance the curb appeal of your home with natural aesthetic, but you have to maintain them to retain their beauty and functionalities. Here are a few things to do:
- Re-coat paint the windows after a year to two years to maintain them looking beautiful and rejuvenate their capability to withstand severe weather conditions.
- Make sure you recoat vanished doors every year because the continued exposure to UV rays tarnish the varnish and make the timber vulnerable to harsh weather elements.
- Clean door handles. Locks and hinges regularly. You should also check, tighten and lubricate them monthly.