Tips For Senior Travelers On A Florida Holiday
Posted on: 24 September 2018 by Larissa James
Make your golden age trip to Florida unforgettable!
Florida is so often misunderstood by travelers from all around the world. This is a state that is mostly renowned for the different activities youngsters can enjoy, the beaches and the wonderful holiday villas in Florida. What many do not know is that Florida has a really large retired population rate, one of the highest in USA. This is why the state of Florida can actually offer many different benefits and activities designed for seniors. Asking for discounts is not something travelers should be shy about. It is something that is actually recommended as you travel to Florida for holiday.
As a very simple example, it is a very good idea to mention that you are a senior as you make travel reservations in Florida. In most of the Florida cities those that are over sixty years old qualify for specific reduced admissions to museums, theaters and various other attractions, together with discounted fares that apply for public transportation.
The Golden Age Passport
You may want to know the fact that the US National Park Service now offers a specific senior pass, called America the Beautiful – National Park and Federal Recreational Land Pass. This was known as Golden Age Passport in the pass. It offers adults over 62 lifetime entrance to properties that are administered by the US National Park Service. This includes historic sites, national parks, monuments, national wildlife refuges and recreation areas. You just need to pay a $10 processing fee to receive the passport.
This is a pass that you need to buy in person. It is available at all NPS facilities charging entrance fees. Besides the free entry, there are 50% discounts available for various federal-use fees that are charged for parking, swimming, camping, tours and boat launching.
Remember there are many organizations and agencies that target the market that is over fifty. Just look for them and you are going to find many interesting options that are available for you as a senior.
Traveling To Universal Studios Florida As A Senior
In Orlando, Florida, people that are over 60 years old qualify for specific reduced admission to museums, theaters and various other attractions. Generally, cultural venues and smaller attractions are available with discounts. This includes Central Florida Zoo, Orlando Science Center and the Orlando Museum of Art, including many others. However, you do not get discounts to biggies like Universal or Disney.
While discounts will not be available for the actual Universal Studios, you can still take advantage of all the other senior discounts that are available for you. For instance, you can use public transportation, which is available at discounted rates if you are a senior.
Traveling To Disney World As A Senior
There are definitely many factors you want to take into account in the event you want a vacation to Disney World. When traveling as a student you most likely do so as a part of a group or with your family. If you want to make the trip even more enjoyable, consider the following tips:
- Non-stop flights – Try to avoid the regional jets and do book non-stop flights if you can. This minimizes the possibility that you are going to miss connections and total travel tops are automatically reduced. You would pay more for the non-stop flight but it is worth it since you gain time and do not have to pay for extras.
- Senior Discounts – There are airlines that will tell you they give you a senior discount but you cannot believe all claims. In many situations these are just the regular prices while in others there is a real discount. The idea is to be careful and make the payment only when the senior discount is actually a discount.
- Flight Times – You need to be mindful of the flight times. You may not actually have all the energy that you need to keep traveling. Try to avoid traveling later in the evening or early in the morning.
- Don’t Forget Medication – You surely know that you need to take your medication but it is so easy to forget this. Do not put your medications in the checked bags. It is so easy for those to be delayed or lost. Also, it is difficult to talk with the doctor in the event a reissue is necessary. Just put the medication in your carryon luggage. You can also have a larger handbag with you.
- Plan – You want to plan the trip to Disney World. This will simply make the entire experience better. However, you do not want to over plan. You can be slower than the others and you should not be afraid of this.
Extra Tips To Remember
A Florida holiday can be incredible for seniors. It is very difficult to go through all the options that are available since most of them are designed for younger travelers. However, if you are patient enough, you will find numerous opportunities for seniors. What you need to do is to be patient and be aware of absolutely all the discounts that are available for you.
The biggest discounts you will get are for accommodations and traveling. This is especially the case in the event you come from another country and you book way ahead of time. Do not let yourself travel to Florida and plan too close to the departure rate. Have patience and plan way before that date. This will help you to save a lot of money and have a great time.