Roasted butternut squash with garlic and red lentil soupPosted on: 21 March 2016 by Rob Hobson
Rob Hobson, author of The Detox Kitchen Bible, invites you to savour a deliciously warming and healthy souper soup.
Butternut squash is rich in a plant chemical called beta-carotene that acts as a powerful antioxidant in the body helping to reduce the risk of disease.
Adding lentils to dishes is a good way to increase your fibre intake (currently low in the diet of many people), which can help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and also control weight, both risk factors for heart disease.
Nutritional: 330 calories
1 small butternut squash, deseeded and peeled
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
125 g red lentils
2 tsp Ras El Hanout
Small pinch of dried chillies
800ml vegetables stock
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Season the squash and garlic with salt and pepper then wrap in foil. Place on a large roasting tray and cook in the oven for 25 minutes. Once cooked remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan and add the onion. Cook for 10 minutes until soft. Add the Ras El Hanout and dried chilies then cook for a further minute.
- Add the cooked squash, garlic and lentils to the pan and stir. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- Season to taste.
- Blend into a thick soup consistency using a stick blender. If the soup seems too thick then add a little water during blending.
- Serve in small bowls topped with seeds, pomegranate and chopped mint.
This is the perfect antidote the cold snap that the Met Office is predicting for the next couple of weeks and, as it th weekend, there is no time like the present to try it. Enjoy!
Share with friends
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
1 Apr 2019Alzheimer's Society Cupcake Day retu...
23 Mar 2019Upkeep and different contemplations f...
7 Feb 2019Chicken Malai Tikka Nutritional Benef...