Walnut and Wild Mushroom GnocchiPosted on: 13 January 2020 by 50connect editorial
Dr Rupy Aujla takes the humble walnut and transforms it from unappreciated and unloved kernel into the tasty co-star of this delicious gnocchi supper.
With a mild and creamy flavour and a soft consistency, California Walnuts can be used to add taste and texture to any number of dishes. Here, Dr Rupy Aujla puts together a healthy Italian-inspired supper of walnut and wild mushroom gnocchi.
Unless it's Christmas or atop a Walnut Whip, a lot of Brits won't come across these underappreciated little health boosters packed, as they are, with plant-based omega-3, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), 2.7g/ 30g (approx. a handful) and a handful offers 4.4g of protein and 1.4g of fibre.
Making your gnocchi is the most time consuming aspect of this recipe (approx one hour). So it is good sense to make in advance. You can buy pre packed gnocchi, but you wont get any of the light fluffiness of the real thing. Try both and find which works best for you.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g celery diced
- 50g shallot diced
- 50g carrot diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60g California Walnuts, crushed into small pieces
- 40g Dried porcini mushrooms, rehydrated in boiling water for 5 minutes
- 150g fresh Spinach Gnocchi (or regular)
- 15g grated Parmesan
- 20g parsley finely chopped
- Boil the gnocchi for 1 minute until they float to the top, drain and set aside (saving a little of the cooking water)
- Sauté the carrot, shallot, celery and garlic for 3-4 minutes in olive oil on medium heat
- Add the mushrooms with a little of the mushroom soaking water for flavour and cook for another minute before adding the walnuts and gnocchi
- Stir for another minute and garnish with parsley before serving with Parmesan
Did you know?
To keep walnuts in perfect condition whether in-shell or ready-to-eat kernels, they should be stored in a cool place, eg the fridge and not a cupboard. You can also store in the freezer and just thaw as needed.
This recipes was developed by Dr Rupy for California Walnuts.
Share with friends
Chinese recipes to cook at home
Club 43 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester
Related Blog Posts
1 Apr 2019Alzheimer's Society Cupcake Day retu...
23 Mar 2019Upkeep and different contemplations f...
7 Feb 2019Chicken Malai Tikka Nutritional Benef...