Dry, chapped skin is just one of the cold weather travails we face through the winter months, while finding the right products to moisturise and replenish without leaving an oily residue or a huge price tag is a significant other.
Top tips for healthy skin
- It’s still chilly at night but avoid using central heating when possible – opt for extra layers of clothes and hot water bottles at night. If you can’t go without heating, keep it low.
- Use a humidifier in your home or place damp towels on radiators to help add humidity to the air.
- Drink plenty of water – the recommended daily amount is 6 to 8 glasses.
Alternatively, try a cup of green tea – it contains proteins and antioxidants that help protect the skin against ageing, and boost renewal of the top layer. Antioxidants can also be found in fruits and other foods.
- Limit your showers and baths to 10 or 15 minutes.
- Help your skin maintain its natural moisture balance by using mild, soap free washing and bathing products, such as Sanex Dermo Moisturising Shower Gel or for sensitive skin Sanex Dermo Sensitive washing and bathing products.
- Vitamin D is essential for good health, sunburn isn’t. Make sure you get outside even during chilly days, but remember to wear sunscreen in the sunshine, especially if you are going on a winter sports holiday.
- If dull weather leaves you feeling pasty, fake tan is the best way to get a golden autumn glow. To do it at home, make sure your legs are clean and free from make-up, and remove hair if necessary.
50connect pick for spring
One range that would be a valuable addition to your skincare armoury is made by 2014 Masterchef finalist Angela Langford. This hand-made natural skincare collection, Bloom & Glow, is a cruelty-free nourishing facial oil recipe packed with super food ingredients including chia seed and sea buckthorn.
Suitable for all skin types, Bloom & Glow is a rose-gold coloured nourishing facial oil that blends together natural Vitamin E, organic Rosehip, Evening Primrose, Chia Seed, Sea Buckthorn and Rose Geranium. The result – an oil that can help rebalance skin that is out of kilter, calm and sooth red and inflamed skin and leave skin feeling soft, smooth and looking radiant.
Radiance Restoring Face Oil
Bloom & Glow was named best facial oil for 2018 by the Good Housekeeping Institute, coming first out of 25 other facial oils, including High Street giants such as Murad, Elemis, Eve Lom, Caudalie, REN and ESPA.
You can invest in a 15ml bottle of Bloom & Glow for £20.50.Last modified: February 5, 2021