This traditional style of savoury pancake is popular in Northern France. They can be served with a filling of your choice placed in the middle of the pancake, which is then folded into an open or closed envelope. Typical fillings are chopped ham or tomato with grated cheese or wilted spinach, a spoon of cream and an egg in the middle.
For the Pancakes
- 100g Doves Farm Buckwheat Flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 300ml milk
- 50g butter, melted
For the Filling
- 25g spinach, wilted
- 1 tbsp cream
- 25g Comté, finely grated
- 1 egg
- Butter softened
- Salt and pepper
- Put the flour, salt, egg and half the milk into a bowl or jug.
- Beat to a smooth paste then stir in the remaining milk to make a thin batter.
- Refrigerate the batter for up to 12 hours or if using straight away continue with the recipe.
- Lightly oil a frying pan so that the oil just covers the surface and get the pan nice and hot.
- Stir the melted butter into the batter then pour or spoon some batter into the hot pan and roll it out to the edges.
- Cook the pancake, loosening the edges until the base is golden.
- Turn it over and cook the other side. Repeat until the batter is used.
- Serve with sweet or savoury fillings of your choice.
To make the Filling
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, Fan 160°C, brush an oven tray and the centre of the pancake with softened butter.
- Wilt the spinach, stir in the cream, season with salt and pepper and place it in the middle of the pancake.
- Sprinkle grated Comté around the edges of the spinach.
- Break an egg onto the spinach and fold the edges of the pancake over to cover the egg white and to form a square.
- Place the filled pancake on the prepared oven tray and bake for 5 – 12 minutes until the egg is set.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Provided by Doves FarmLast modified: April 7, 2021