Try this amazing chickpea, squash & tomato curry with beetroot pickle, brown rice and coconut yoghurt recipe. It's packed with brightly colours and delivers a sweet,nutty punch of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. This curry also uses spices such as turmeric which has been shown to have a powerful antioxidant effect on the body.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
For the beetroot pickle
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 beetroots, peeled and julienned
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
For the curry
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli
- 200 ml water
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into rough 1 cm cubes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 200g brown rice, boiled
- 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1 handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- To make the beetroot pickle Toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant – about 1 minute. Place 1 tsp of the seeds into a bowl, setting the other teaspoon aside for the curry later and add the beetroot, red onion, sugar, salt and red chilli. Massage everything together with your hands – wear gloves if you have them to avoid staining hands – and then add in the vinegar. Stir to combine and set aside for later.
- For the curry Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan set over a medium-high heat and add the mustard seeds. Allow them to pop for about a minute then add the curry leaves, reserved cumin seeds and the sliced onion.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is starting to brown then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes, until you can see the oil starting to split out from the tomatoes.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric, kashmiri chilli powder, water, squash and chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, until the squash is cooked through, then stir through the coconut yoghurt.
- Serve the curry with the beetroot pickle, brown rice and coconut yoghurt, scattered with some fresh coriander.
Last modified: December 17, 2019