Rustle up this super smooth, vegan chocolate mousse in minutes and pop it in the fridge ready to serve for lunch and dinner, with friends and family. The secret ingredient here is the Tonka Bean. The aroma is reminiscent of vanilla, cherry and almond. Not surprisingly, it’s regularly used by top chefs to replace natural vanilla to give a slightly caramel flavour.
You might assume that chocolate is a no-go for followers of a plant-based diet, but there’s a wealth of options out there to satisfy even the sweetest tooth. Dark chocolate – which has a higher concentration of cocoa solids – is often made without milk and there are now plenty of “mylk” bars which use milk alternatives such as coconut milk or soya to create a milder, creamier taste. We’re using both in this recipe.
- 400g silk tofu
- 200g vegan chocolate (at least 72% cocoa)
- A grating of Tonka Bean – using the Microplane® Premium Classic Zester
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp icing sugar (but you can use more if you like it sweet!)
Good quality white and dark vegan chocolate to garnish – using the Microplane® Professional Series Ribbon Grater
Chocolate mousse – method:
- Break up the chocolate and melt in a bain marie or microwave – whichever you prefer.
- Set aside to cool slightly
- Using a hand blender, mix together the silk tofu with the salt, a light grating of Tonka Bean (to taste) and the icing sugar
- Add the cooled chocolate slowly
- Mix thoroughly
- Fill 6 small bowls (about the size of a ramekin) and chill for 2-3 hours
- Garnish liberally with shavings of chocolate
Special thank go to Microplane for this recipe. Microplane is an ultra-sharp and elegant Professional Series Ribbon Grater, made entirely out of stainless steel, which conveniently grates in both directions creating delicate thin strips to add beauty and interesting texture to impeccably presented dishes.
For more vegetarian and vegan dessert recipes like Chocolate mousse, search our Food & Drink channel.Last modified: August 13, 2021