Cooking and baking with grandchildren is a fantastic bonding experience and this recipe for happy hearts jam tarts is a sweet treat they’ll be happy to get stuck into.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
- 250g berries – strawberries, raspberries, blackberries… you choose!
- 150g brown rice flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 90ml water (70ml + 20ml)
- 70g dates
- 25g honey
- 15g chia seeds
- 10g milled flax seeds
- 12 hole cupcake tray
- Measuring scales
- Small saucepan
- Big mixing bowl, small bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Rolling pin
- Circular and heart shaped pastry cutters
- Nuts (almonds
Method: happy hearts jam tarts
- Preheat the oven to 160c (170c if not fan assisted / gas mark 3)
- Soften the dates in 70ml of warm water – you could put them straight into your blender to save on washing up later!
- While the dates are softening make a ‘flax-egg’ by mixing the flax seeds with 20ml of water and leave to one side to set
- Next make your jam by gently heating and stirring your berries, chia seeds and honey in a saucepan over a low heat for 5 minutes until the berries have broken down. Top tip: use a potato masher to break them down if you need to!
- Now make your pastry by mixing the brown rice flour and ground almonds together in a large mixing bowl
- Whizz your dates (+ the water they were softening in) together until smooth and use a spatula to scrape it into your flour along with the flax egg you made in step 3
- Mix it all together and then use your hands to mix and knead the mixture for a few minutes until it becomes dough like
- Set aside 1/5th of the pastry to make the heart tops and roll the remainder out to make the bases which should be around 2-3mm thick. Use a 7-8cm round pastry cutter for the bases. You may need a spatula to help remove the bases from the work surface, or just dust your work surface and rolling pin with a little flour
- Place the bases into a greased 12 hole cupcake tray and add 1 heaped teaspoon of jam into each base until it is all used up
- Now roll the remaining pastry out to make your heart tops, pop one on each tart and then bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry starts to turn golden
Fun fact! This recipe contains fibre which helps our tummies produce the happy hormone serotonin!Last modified: August 13, 2021