Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1kg organic chicken drumsticks
- 2 sticks of organic celery, finely chopped
- 3 organic carrots, finely chopped
- 2 organic onions, roughly chopped
- 800ml of organic chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley
For the tarragon garlic bread
- 1 baguette
- 1 bunch of tarragon, leaves roughly chopped
- 100g of organic butter, at room temperature
- 3 organic garlic cloves, crushed
- To start the soup, add the chicken to a large pan along with the vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns. Separate the parsley stalks and leaves, reserving the leaves for garnish and adding the stalks to the pan.
- Pour cold water into the pan to cover everything then bring to the boil over a medium heat on the hob.
- Once simmering, use a spoon to skim off any scum that appears on the surface of the soup (this will help improve the final flavour of the soup).
- After an hour, strain the soup and set aside the chicken pieces, discarding the other flavourings. Place the soup back on a gentle heat.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the skin from the chicken and shred the meat into the soup. Stir together and season with salt and pepper.
- To make the tarragon garlic bread, use a serrated knife to slice into the baguette, cutting deep grooves but do not cut all the way through.
- Mix together the tarragon and garlic with the butter to create a flavoured paste. Spread this into each slice and wrap the whole baguette in foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes then serve with soup, garnished with the reserved parsley leaves.
Recipe provided by Helen Graves courtesy of Great British Chefs.Last modified: June 10, 2021