If you are seeking inspiration for a light lunch, this juicy raw vegetable salad with garlic dressing is a perfect solution. Black garlic has twice the amount of antioxidants of fresh garlic, has a sweet balsamic taste and a liquorice-like texture, which is a result of the fermentation process used to create it. This type of garlic works really well in salad dressings and is tasty eaten raw as it has been used in this salad.
Although low in calories, this salad is still high in nutrients and contains a rich source of potassium, magnesium, iron, B6, folate and vitamin C.
210 calories, 12.7g fat, 2.3g sat fat, 112.4g carbohydrates, 8g sugar, 8.5g protein, 1.5g salt, 5.5g fibre
- 4 black garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 handful of radish
- 1 green courgette
- 1 yellow courgette
- Half a red onion
- Half a green pepper, finely diced
- 1 handful of cashew nuts, roasted and chopped
- 1 small handful of coriander, finely chopped
Method – vegetable salad with garlic dressing
- Place the black garlic in a pestle and mortar with the lemon juice, oil and salt and gently bash the cloves until the liquid has turned a dark brown colour. The tough texture of the black garlic does not lend itself well to being broken down so the pieces will remain intact. This is fine as the flavour will still infuse with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Finely slice the radishes and using a peeler, create long thin strips of courgette. Place them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well
- Serve the salad in large bowls and dot the pieces of black garlic, from the dressing, around the vegetables. Sprinkle with the cashew nuts and lemon zest and garnish with the coriander.
Rob Hobson is a Registered Nutritionist and Healthspan Head of Nutrition. His new book ‘The Detox Kitchen Bible’ is available on Amazon.
For more information
For more recipe inspiration like this vegetable salad with garlic dressing, see our food and drink channel.Last modified: September 14, 2021