The long Easter weekend is a good excuse for some serious eating, so invite friends and family round for a cracking feast!
Lean pork loin or leg joint – Allow 100 / 175g (46oz) of raw meat per person for boneless joints and 225 / 350g (812oz) for bone-in joints
For The stuffing
- Pork sausage meat
- Black pudding
- Fresh breadcrumbs
- Fresh plums
For The Plum, Port & Blueberry Compote
- Red onions
- Fresh plums
- Soft brown sugar
- Blueberry juice (or cranberry)
- Blueberries (fresh or dried)
- Ground allspice
Cooking Time: Medium 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes
Oven Temperature: Gas Mark 45, 180°C, 350°F
- Take a lean pork loin or leg joint and calculate the cooking time. For crackling dry the rind, score and rub with 15ml (1tbsp) oil and 5ml (1tsp) sea salt. Place on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in a preheated oven for calculated cooking time.
- Next make the stuffing by mixing together 450g (1lb) pork sausage meat, 50g (2oz) chopped black pudding, 100g (4oz) fresh breadcrumbs, 3 plums, stoned and chopped, and 25g (1oz) blueberries. Shape into 15 – 20 balls and cook alongside the pork for 20 – 25 minutes until cooked through. (These make great snacks or canapés, just make into smaller balls.)
- For the plum, port and blueberry compote heat 15ml (1tbsp) oil in a heavy based pan, add 1 red onion, peeled and finely sliced, and cook slowly for 8 – 10 minutes until softened and browned. Add 3 plums, quartered, 30ml (2tbsp) soft brown sugar, 75ml (5tbsp) blueberry juice, 60ml (4tbsp) port, 25g (1oz) fresh or dried blueberries and pinch ground allspice. Stir well. Cover the pan and cook on a reduced heat until liquid has reduced slightly and fruit soft, approx 10 minutes. Remove lid for further 5 minutes if too saucy. Serve the compote hot or cold.
- Serve the pork with the stuffing balls, bacon rolls, chipolata sausages, roast potatoes and plenty of seasonal vegetables.
Do you have any delicious roast recipes to share?
If so, let us know by leaving a comment in the box below or share your thoughts with other readers in the 50connect forums.Last modified: June 10, 2021