This recipe is one that tastes great and turns out to be healthy as well. Almonds are full of the anti-ageing vitamin, Vitamin E which has a positive effect on the male sex drive. The recommended daily allowance of Vitamin E is 10mg/day, and 2oz serving of almonds will provide you with 12 mg of Vitamin E.
- 4 duck breasts
- 1-2 teaspoons salt flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated root ginger
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 50g (2 oz) slivered California Almonds
- 150ml (1/4 pint) sweet white wine
- 4 ripe dessert apricots, halved and stones removed
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the duck fat side up and sprinkle lightly with salt. Heat a cast iron pan and place the duck, fat side down in the pan. Cook for about 8 minutes until golden brown and then turn over and cook for about another 8 minutes until just pink in the middle. Remove and keep warm.
- Drain off the duck fat leaving about 2 tablespoons in the pan. Add the ginger, garlic and almonds and cook gently until just golden brown. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half.
- Add the apricots, redcurrant jelly, sugar and soy sauce and heat gently. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Add black pepper to taste.
- To serve, slice each duck breast on the diagonal and spoon over the almonds, apricots and sauce.