The protein and fat in this wonderful recipe delay the release of the natural sugars into the bloodstream, protecting you from insulin spikes. And the sweetener used, coconut syrup, is lower in GI than white sugar and, combined with the natural sweetness of coconut, means you can use much less.
- 1 cup cacao butter buttons
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut milk powder (optional, but adds creaminess)
- 3.5 tbsp Yumello argan oil cashew butter
- 3-4 tbsp Bali Nutra coconut syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp agar agar or powdered gelatin (optional, but helps to create a softer texture)
- ¾-1 tsp Taiki Tea Premium matcha powder
- Pinch salt
- Freeze-dried raspberries and melted white chocolate to decorate (optional)
- In a bain marie, very gently melt together the cacao buttons with the coconut butter. Stir until smooth and melted, then remove from the heat.
- Allow the mix to cool slightly, then place into a blender with the remaining ingredients and blitz smooth – don’t worry, the mixture will appear dark green, but it will lighten once it sets! Taste and adjust sweetness as desired.
- Pour into a lined loaf tin, then place in the freezer to firm up. Cut into cubes, then store in the fridge and enjoy.
Fran McElwaine is the founder of Pruv – a bespoke health coaching methodology that allows her to work with clients to unlock their unique nutrition blueprint – a functional food specialist and certified health coach. For more information and recipes, visit Prüv.Last modified: December 8, 2017