Banoffee cupcakesPosted on: 22 September 2017 by Eloise Craven-Todd
Bitesize banoffee puddings, these banana and caramel cupcakes are the perfect tea time treat.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 ripe Fairtrade bananas
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Half tsp salt
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the toffee buttercream:
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g caramel spread (Bonne Maman Confiture de Caramel)
- 50g fudge chunks
- Half banana, cut into 12 thin slices
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line your muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Mash the bananas until very soft and set aside. Beat the butter and half the sugar for at least 4 minutes with an electric hand whisk. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the remaining sugar and the salt until pale and fluffy. Combine the egg mixture with the buttery banana mixture, then sieve over the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in batches, whisking between additions. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes until they feel spongy and the tops are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the toffee buttercream. Whisk the butter until creamy and light, then gradually whisk in the icing sugar. Add 1-2 tbsp water, 1 tbsp at a time, if the mixture looks too dry. Top each cupcake with buttercream.
- Warm the caramel spread in a pan, until it’s runny. Using a spoon, swirl over the buttercream icing and sprinkle over the fudge chunks. Finally, arrange slices of banana into the icing. Serve immediately, as the banana slices will brown when exposed to the air.
For more cupcake recipes visit Waitrose
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)