Lamb harira - a Moroccan lamb, chickpea and lentil stewPosted on: 25 February 2019 by Rob Hobson
A dinner party meal to impress. This tasty and heart-warming Moroccan-style stew will be a family favourite in no time, and provide the whole family with a decent helping of fibre, too.
Lamb harira is a Moroccan-inspired stew that is rich in aromatic spices and builds its flavours the longer you allow it cook. Nutritionally, this is a real winner, with a balanced mix of protein and fibre that will give all the pleasure of a hearty meal with none of the pain on the scales.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g lamb shoulder, diced into large chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 600ml chicken stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 scoop inulin powder, optional
- Thick Greek-style yogurt and toasted pita bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the lamb, in batches, and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. You may need to add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze it after cooking the lamb.
- Return the lamb to the pan with the tomato paste, cumin, paprika and bay leaf. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, then add the stock and chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
- After 1 1/2 hours, check that the meat is tender and, if it is, remove the lid and add the chickpeas and lentils. If not, leave it for a further 30 minutes.
- Cook for a final 30 minutes until the soup has thickened and the meat is falling apart. Stir through the coriander, reserving some for serving and serve with the yoghurt and pitta breads.
This recipe reproduced courtesy of Healthspan.
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)