Seared tuna with Asian slawPosted on: 17 February 2017 by Eloise Craven-Todd
There are very few food sources of vitamin D but oily fish are high on the list, this is a delicious way to enjoy fresh tuna.
450 calories per serving
- 250g fresh tuna (the best quality you can find)
- 25g sesame seeds
- 1 medium avocado
- Half a cucumber
- 1 head of bok choy
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- Small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- A few mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Half a lime, juiced
- 30ml reduced sodium, tamari sauce
- 30ml mirin
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
Chive oil (makes a batch)
- 60ml light olive oil
- Large handful of chives, finely chopped
- Place the sesame seeds on a small plate.
- Brush the tuna with a little light olive oil and roll in the sesame seeds until all the sides are covered then set aside.
- Prepare the salad. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone then peel off the skin. Cut each half into thin slices. Half the cucumber and remove the seeds then cut each half into thin slices diagonally. Trim the bottom off the bok choy and wash the leaves then dry and slice each leaf into thin strips. Add the avocado, cucumber and bok choy to a medium-sized bowl and gently combine. Add the chives, coriander and mint along with the sesame oil and lime juice then continue to combine.
- Prepare the dressing by adding the ingredients to a small bowl and whisking with a fork.
- For the chive oil, place the oil and chives in a small blender and whizz for 30 seconds. This will make a larger quantity of oil than required but you can keep it in a container in the fridge.
- Heat a little oil in a large, non-stick frying pan or griddle until smoking hot. Place the tuna on the pan and cook for one and a half minutes on each side (medium-rare).
- To serve the dish, cut the tuna into thin slice. Serve with a mound the salad and pour the soy dressing over the tuna and salad then drizzle a little of the chive oil over the tuna (to taste).
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)