Southern-Style Fried ChickenPosted on: 05 August 2016 by 50connect editorial
The family favourite, this southern-style fried chicken and tomato sauce is great for a fun friday night party with friends
With this tasty seasoning mix and smooth tomato sauce, spice up your friday night dinner southern-style. Get stuck in with this crowd pleasing recipe for fried chicken turning your friday nights into a fun feast with friends.
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion salt
1 dessert spoon cayenne pepper
1 dessert spoon paprika
1/2 -1 dessert spoon chilli powder depending on taste
1 tsp black pepper
6 large chicken drumsticks
1 tbsp olive oil
For tomato sauce
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 clove of garlic crushed
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp plain yogurt
1) Place all the dry ingredients into a re-sealable freezer bag with the chicken drumsticks. Massage the marinade into the meat and marinade for half an hour.
2) Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan until almost smoking. Fry the chicken drumsticks until golden brown, turning continuously until they are cooked through. This should take 20-30 minutes depending on their size. Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
3) Once the oil has cooled from the frying pan, drain off the excess until you are left with the spicy flavoursome residues at the bottom.
4) Using a different saucepan, slowly melt the butter over a medium heat. I am all for conserving the washing up but t is important to use another pan other wise the spices will start to emulsify with the butter before you are ready, and the sauce will not work. Once melted add the flour and whisk for about 30 seconds until you have a smooth paste, then add the tomato puree and left over spices and cook for 2 more minutes.
5) Remove sauce from the heat and gradually stir in 300ml of water. Return to the heat, season and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until you have a thick sauce. Remove from the heat, cool and then add the yogurt and if you wish, a handful of chopped parsley.
Plate up with and a fresh green salad and a chucky coldslaw that will be sure to have your guests asking for seconds.
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)