Strawberry meringue roulade with mascarponePosted on: 24 March 2017 by Eloise Craven-Todd
Celebrate the beginning of spring this weekend with this delicious and creamy berry meringue roulade.
This is a light yet decadent dessert. The crisp and chewy meringue encases a rich strawberry and mascarpone cream filling, and the almonds around the outside add a delicious crunch.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 16 minutes
- Vegetable oil for brushing the tin
- Whites of 6 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 80g flaked almonds
- 400g mascarpone cream cheese
- 1tbsp heaped icing sugar
- 300g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the oven rack quite near the top. Line a standard Swiss roll baking tin, or a shallow baking tray with baking parchment and brush with vegetable oil.
- In a big, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites till they are quite stiff. Add the caster sugar slowly. Continue whisking until the meringue mixture is stiff and shiny, forming peaks.
- Spread the meringue mixture into the Swiss roll tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top, evenly. Place in the oven and bake the meringue for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes lower the oven temperature to 160°C and bake the meringue until golden brown, which will take approximately another 8 minutes.
- When the meringue is cooked, remove from the oven and turn it almond-side down on a big, clean sheet of baking parchment. Peel off the paper from the base and leave the meringue to cool completely.
- Whisk the mascarpone cream cheese and the icing sugar till stiff. Spread the mascarpone cream and three-quarters of the strawberries, sliced in halves lengthways, evenly over the cold meringue.
- Use the sides of the parchment paper to roll the meringue roulade onto a serving tray or platter. Keep the meringue roulade in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
- Decorate the top with the remaining strawberries and serve.
Cooks tip: To freeze the roulade, simply put the finished but undecorated roulade on a large sheet of greaseproof paper. Wrap the roulade up like a present, completely covering it and slide onto a tray. Freeze for up to one month. To serve, thaw completely at room temperature.
Recipe provided by Berry World, visit their site for further spring recipe ideas
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)