Walnut waffles with date drizzlePosted on: 16 June 2017 by Eloise Craven-Todd
With the crunch of walnuts and indulgently drizzled with date syrup, these waffles are perfect for a weekend brunch this Father's Day.
Preparation time: 45 mins
For the waffles
- 300g Spelt flour
- 1 and a half tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Quarter tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 170ml buttermilk
- 170ml milk
- 40ml honey
- 50g melted butter (plus extra for greasing)
- 60g walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp walnut butter
- 30ml date syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug along with the buttermilk, milk, honey and melted butter.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter, and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Grease your waffle iron liberally with butter, sprinkle in some of the chopped walnuts, and heat until hot.
- Cook the batter in batches until all the batter is used up, keeping the waffles warm as you go.
- In a small saucepan gently heat the coconut oil, walnut butter and date syrup to form a sauce, then stir in a pinch of salt.
- Serve with the waffles with the sliced bananas, drizzle with the date sauce, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts to finish.
Recipe provided by Californian Walnuts
Share with friends
Related Blog Posts
1 Feb 2019How to make boneless chicken thigh
4 Aug 201810 Best Steaks to Grill For Your Dinner
4 Apr 2018Passion fruit cheesecake (Maracuja)